NFT: Video game developers don’t like it

  • 14

News business NFT: Video game developers don’t like it

A report from the Game Developers Conference shows that the majority of developers are not interested in NFTs and cryptocurrencies.

The GDC publishes an annual report on ideas, desires, opinions of developers and their studios. In its latest report “GDC State Of The Game Industry”, we can get an idea of the interest of video game developers in NFTs and cryptocurrencies.

NFT and cyrpto-currencies, very little for them

The NFT divisent in the video game industry. We already knew that when we saw the player reaction waiting for STALKER 2 recently, or the reaction of the public and some developers to the launch of the platform Ubisoft Quartz. But this GDC report leaves no doubt: the vast majority of developers see little point in it. Some people strongly criticize NFTs.

NFT: Video game developers don't like it

According to the GDC survey, 70% of developers surveyed say they and their studio aren’t interested in NFTs (28% say they see some interest in it). 72% also say they are not interested in cryptocurrencies as a payment tool in their games (27% of them say they see some interest in it). The majority of those who testify in the report criticize NFTs in particular for their environmental impact, for the scam risks, and for concerns about the monetization. Some testimonials from developers about NFTs and cryptocurrencies:

– I would prefer not to approve of burning rainforests to confirm someone “owns” a JPEG.

– We have to agree collectively to ban the use of blockchain-based technologies in our industry due to their extremely negative environmental impact.

– I think it’s a technology in the process of finding its raison d’être. People will be interested in it seeing it as a bet to make money, but there is not enough public demand for it to be a real currency.

Pandemic, Accessibility, Epic Games and unions

The GDC report points to other trends in the industry. About the closures during the pandemic in particular, we notice that the industry is finally doing quite well. 50% of respondents say their company increased its workforce in 2021. 33% say their company’s workforce hasn’t changed, 13% say it’s been downsized, and only 2% have closed entirely. According to the GDC, these figures are significantly the same as in 2020.

A recurring topic in the industry in recent years is the issue of accessibility. 39% of developers surveyed say accessibility measures have been added to their games. This is the first time that the “yes” has exceeded the “no” to this question in GDC reports since it was asked (since 2019), since 36% of respondents say that no measures have been taken. taken on their titles, a declining figure.

GDC was also interested in the developer’s vision of a highly publicized case, the lawsuit between Epic Games and Apple. To the question of who, according to them, was “right” in this case, we will not be surprised to see that the video game publisher takes over the Apple brand. 34% of respondents sided with Epic Games, only 8% for Apple. 23% say neither side is right, 10% say both have a good case, and 25% said they weren’t sure.

Finally, from a more social point of view, the GDC is always interested in working conditions and the means of defending industrial workers. 55% of respondents say workers in the video game industry should unionize, the highest rate in the ten years that this annual survey has existed. 23% say that conversations about unionization have taken place in their workplace. 18% think the industry will, indeed, unionize. Regarding working conditions, nearly 38% of respondents say their company has made efforts to address toxicity at work, following the Activision-Blizzard scandal. A figure that still leaves 62% of them saying that their company has done nothing to improve this, but a rising figure suggesting that the industry overall is in the direction of a wake-up call.

More topics are covered in the survey, which you can find on the GDC website.

Read next:

Damien-Scaletta's profile on Jeuxvideo.com

Through Damien-Ladder, Writing jeuxvideo.com

MPTwitter

News business NFT: Video game developers don’t like it Published on 01/21/2022 at 15:37 A report from the Game Developers Conference shows that the majority of developers are not interested in NFTs and cryptocurrencies. The GDC publishes an annual report on ideas, desires, opinions of developers and their studios. In…

News business NFT: Video game developers don’t like it Published on 01/21/2022 at 15:37 A report from the Game Developers Conference shows that the majority of developers are not interested in NFTs and cryptocurrencies. The GDC publishes an annual report on ideas, desires, opinions of developers and their studios. In…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.